NJ Elderly Fraud and Scam Prevention
New Jersey seniors, not unexpectedly, comprise the segment of our state population most vulnerable to frauds and scams. To limit the possibility of this happening to you or an elderly loved one, the following points are offered:
- Under no circumstance should a senior ever let a stranger into their house. Many thieves will knock on the door to try to see if the senior is home alone and if there are any opportunities to take advantage of them. Many seniors tend to trust people, especially if they appear to be distressed or have children with them.
- Your elderly loved one should never reveal credit card, date of birth or social security information over the telephone, in person, in writing or online. A senior, for example, may receive a telephone call advertising a can’t-miss opportunity with little or no risk or identify themselves as calling from a local bank or store, but what really happens is the scammer is trying to get is steal their identity.
- Notify police if your senior ever receives a letter or e-mail threatening consequences unless they agree to something.
- Call the police if your senior receives a letter that is mailed from Nigeria (or some other country) offering him or her the opportunity to share a percentage of millions of dollars if they allow a deposit to be made into their bank account.
- Checks should be written in the name of the charity when making donations. Many seniors have been scammed by someone posing as a representative for a charity or organization and asking for a donation. The scammer tells the victim to write the check out to himself instead of the charity. The check is then cashed, and the scammer keeps the money.
- Shred all credit card receipts and bank statements. Close unused credit cards or bank accounts.
Posted by: Frank Esposito, Vice President of Expert Home Care. New Jersey’s Expert Home Care provides professional and reliable home health care and companion care for NJ elderly, helping them with their daily living activities since 1984. Please call us toll free at 800-848-2336 when you have home care related questions or need assistance for a loved one. Get a Free Home Care Assessment (a $375 value!) when you mention this post.