New Jersey Elderly Safety Tips
One’s entire house can be an accident waiting to happen, particularly for seniors who may have unsteady balance or less than perfect vision. Here are some modifications that can be made to minimize accidents and some things to keep in mind:
• Paint porches with grit to prevent slips
• Railings need regular inspections for sturdiness on porches and steps
• Remove extension cords, throw rugs and other tripping hazards
• Use light sensitive night lights in unlit stairwells and hallways.
• Place light switches at doors to prevent walking in the dark.
• Install smoke alarms in every room and test the batteries regularly.
• Use heating elements that shut off electric burners on the stove.
• Keep fire extinguishers handy.
• Only use sturdy step stools with handles and use poles for reaching.
• Keep vents clean of grease.
• Modify baths with tub cutaways.
• Install grab bars.
• Install higher toilets to assist in standing and sitting.
• Apply non-slip strips to bathtubs.
• Use shower seats with back and portable shower heads.
• Paint with contrasting colors.
• Keep doors and windows locked. Use peep holes. Never open your door automatically.
• Notify neighbors and the police when going away on a trip.
• Never leave notes on your front door.
• Be suspicious of offers from unknown contractors to do home repairs. Only work with reputable businesses.
Posted by: Frank Esposito, Vice President of Expert Home Care. New Jersey’s Expert Home Care provides professional and reliable home health care and companion care for NJ elderly, helping them with their daily living activities since 1984. Please call us toll free at 800-848-2336 when you have home care related questions or need assistance for a loved one. Get a Free Home Care Assessment (a $375 value!) when you mention this post.