Latest posts by Expert Home Care (see all)
- Senior Home Care Preparation For New Jersey Families - December 17, 2018
- Elder Abuse More Common Than Thought - December 10, 2018
- Walking Seniors Improve Their Health - November 29, 2018
Expert Home CareÂ offers free vanÂ transportation for our caregivers directly to our clientâ€™s doors in the counties of Bergen, Morris, Hunterdon, Warren, Sussex, Essex, Middlesex, Mercer, Monmouth, Ocean, Somerset, Passaic, Union and Hudson.
Expert Home Care is a good alternative to Assisted Living & Nursing Homes.. keeping seniors and elders safe and healthy in their homes. Call us today at 800-848-2336.
Medications Need to Be Carefully Managed
Consider the following common myths about medication use:
- If one dose makes me feel good, a larger dose will make me feel even better
- If one drug does not work, take two or three
- If I can buy it over the counter, it must be safe
- If my physician has not stopped the medication, I can still use it
- If it helped my friend, it will help me
ManyÂ seniors and elders living in New JerseyÂ buy into these myths. SinceÂ seniors take on average as many as six prescription drugs and three to four over-the-counter medications, problems with medications are common.
The biggest medication problems for New Jersey elders:
- Not taking medicine correctly â€“ either forgetting to take it or failing to follow instructions
- Allergic reactions
- Drug side effects
- Drug interactions
- Wrong dosage
- Unnecessary or inappropriate usage
Those with chronic conditions that take multiple medications may find one drug interacts or interferes with the effectiveness of another drug, or can cause unexpected side effects that can result in such symptoms as nausea, dizziness, heartburn, faintness, fatigue, drop in blood pressure, or blurred vision.
Common drug-to-drug interactions include aspirin with a blood thinner, like Coumadin, or certain diabetic medications; antacids with heart and blood pressure medications; and antihistamines with antidepressants.
There can also be problems when certain medications are taken with such common foods as dairy products, caffeine, grapefruit and orange juices, and alcohol, or with certain herbal supplements like gingko biloba or kava kava.
Let us help your loved ones live safely in their home.Â We are one of the best alternatives to Assisted Living and Nursing Home facilities – Expert Home Care New Jersey. Call for assistance 800-848-2336.