Latest posts by Expert Home Care (see all)
- Senior Home Care Preparation For New Jersey Families - December 17, 2018
- Elder Abuse More Common Than Thought - December 10, 2018
- Walking Seniors Improve Their Health - November 29, 2018
Expert Home CareÂ of New Jersey offers free van service for our caregivers directly to our clientâ€™s doors in the counties of Bergen, Morris, Hunterdon, Warren, Sussex, Essex, Middlesex, Mercer, Monmouth, Ocean, Somerset, Passaic, Union and Hudson.
Call us when your elder loved one, living in New Jersey, needs home care and live-in care atÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 800-848-2336
Yesterday our post gave you information onÂ how sleepÂ affectsÂ senior’s health. Is it better to get many hours of sleep or better to getÂ sound sleep, less hours, but high quality?Â Remember a senior suffers when sleep is poor – it adversely effects the elder’sÂ immune system,Â leaving the individual vulnerable to infection and illness.
Are you looking to get a better nightâ€™s sleep? Here are some things to consider:
- Stick to a sleep schedule â€“ go to bed and get up at the same time every day, even on weekends
- Donâ€™t exercise at least five or six hours before going to bed
- Avoid caffeine and nicotine. This includes coffee, tea, cola and chocolate
- Stay away from alcohol before bedtime
- Donâ€™t eat large meals late at night
- Avoid medicines that delay or interrupt your sleep, if at all possible. This includes some heart, blood pressure, asthma, cough, cold and allergy medications
- Donâ€™t nap after 3 p.m
- Relax before going to bed
- Take a hot bath at night
- Have a good sleeping environment â€“ keep the room cool and dark, turn off the TV
- Try to get outside in natural sunlight for at least 30 minutes each day
- Donâ€™t lie in bed awake. If you canâ€™t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get up and do something relaxing like reading
- See a sleep specialist if you continue to have difficulty sleeping
Â If your aging relative needs senior home care or live-in care please contact Expert Home Care in New Jersey at 800-848-2336.