- New Jersey Senior Care Costs 2018 By Category - September 4, 2019
- Mercer County NJ Home Health Care Services Expanded - August 13, 2019
- Monmouth NJ Monmouth County Home Health Care Expansion Announced - July 22, 2019
NJ Senior Health
Vitamin B12 deficiency symptoms, like those of many other treatable health conditions, can be virtually identical to age dementia symptoms, senile dementia symptoms and Alzheimer’s symptoms. As many as 20% of people over age 65 have low Vitamin B12 levels. Correcting the deficiency can help your elderly loved one resume a full and normal live.
Vitamin B12 deficiency symptoms include:
- Loss of appetite
- Numbness and tingling of hands and feet
- Shortness of breath
- Sore mouth and tongue
- Confusion or change in mental status in severe or advanced cases (which can be confused with dementia). More importantly, even a moderate deficiency of this important vitamin and its counterpart, folic acid, may ultimate contribute to the onset of Alzheimers disease or other related dementias.
Vitamin B12 is found naturally in animal products and is also added to certain foods. Good sources of vitamin B12 include:
- Fish and seafood
- Fortified foods such as cereals
Posted by: Frank Esposito, Vice President of Expert Home Care. New Jersey’s Expert Home Care provides professional and reliable home health care and companion care for NJ elderly, helping them with their daily living activities since 1984. Please call us toll free at 800-848-2336 when you have home care related questions or need assistance for a loved one. Get a Free Home Care Assessment (a $375 value!) when you mention this post.