Latest posts by Expert Home Care (see all)
- Expert Home Care Receives NJ BBB Award for 10 Years Accredited Membership - October 29, 2018
- Home Care #1 Option For NJ Seniors Following Hospitalization - October 26, 2018
- New Jersey Caregivers Spotlight – Meet Shanta Foreman - October 12, 2018
New Jersey Senior Living & Lifestyle
Loneliness is one of the most common problems affecting seniors who live alone and away from family.Â How can seniors connect with others?Â Here are some places and situations that can work well:
- Local senior centers usually offer lectures, classes, and meals.
- Libraries offer book discussion groups for seniors, as well as lectures and concerts.
- A community bulletin may list adult education classes.
- Colleges and universities may have senior classes, lectures and concerts. Some have special classes or activities for seniors, while others encourage seniors to take regular classes at a discounted rate.
- The YMCA or JCC may offer movement classes for seniors.
- Health clubs may offer exercise, tai chi, dancercise or yoga classes for seniors.
- If your elderly loved one likes to volunteer, you should look into civic, political, medical, educational or arts organizations.
- Look for local hobby clubs such as guitar players, singers, memoirists, walkers, hikers, environmentalists, amateur theatre actors, etc.
- Support groups.
- Religious organizations tend to offer adult education, social action groups, and are always seeking volunteers.
- Alumni groups.
- Widowed or divorced seniors looking for companionship should consider online dating.
- Create your own hobby group on a topic of interest. Seniors can go to Meetup.com and create a group on any topic, such as Lovers of Musical Theatre or Foreign Films. You will have to pay a monthly fee of $25 (the fees go down if you contract for more than one month at a time) to advertise there, but you can then ask the group members to share the cost with you. You can also create your own group and advertise at no cost on Craigslist.com. Or you can consider starting a group at your local church or through your local adult education organization.
There are plenty of opportunities for seniors to connect with their contemporaries.Â Staying home and being miserable should not be an option.
Posted by: Frank Esposito, Vice President of Expert Home Care. New Jersey’s Expert Home Care provides professional and reliable home health care and companion care for NJ seniors, helping them with their daily living activities since 1984. Please call us toll free at 800-848-2336 when you have elder care related questions or need assistance for a loved one.