Latest posts by Expert Home Care (see all)
- Senior Home Care Preparation For New Jersey Families - December 17, 2018
- Elder Abuse More Common Than Thought - December 10, 2018
- Walking Seniors Improve Their Health - November 29, 2018
New Jersey Elders and Seniors need to pay attention to their diet and nutrition.. must take the time!
The most frequently cited reason why we donâ€™t treat our bodies and minds to healthy, nutritious food or even a moderate amount of healthful exercise for seniors living in NJ is, â€œToo much to do, and not enough time to do it!â€
One study found that approximately 64 percent of people combine eating with some other activity, such as reading, working or watching television. The same study disclosed that approximately 50 percent of those people surveyedÂ rely on frozen, packaged, or take-out for their evening meal.
MostÂ seniors in New JerseyÂ are aware of the fact that what we eat today will affect our future health. Lowering our consumption of fats and red meat are the two most frequently mentioned ways that people say they are trying to improve their diets.Â Others, unfortunately, look for shortcuts through dietary supplements that promise effortless â€œmiraclesâ€ of weight loss without any changes to oneâ€™s eating habits or physical activity.
Physicians warn against relying exclusively on miracle weight loss drugs, and suggest that the most sensible course of action is a healthy balance between a good diet and moderate and regular exercise.
If you have made a commitment to a healthier lifestyle, or are thinking about it, we urge you to keep the following in mind:
- Always consult your physician before making any radical changes in your diet or exercise routine.
- Always demand to see the clinical and medical research evidence that substantiates the claims of any dietary supplement. If in doubt, consult your physician or a professional nutritionist.
- Remember, there is no substitute for nutritious food, properly prepared, combined with physical activity, to keep your mind and body healthy.
If you have an aging family member living in New Jersey and they need in-home or live-in care, contact Expert Home Care in NJ for a consultation. We can be reached at 800-848-2336.