Latest posts by Expert Home Care (see all)
- Ways to Get Exercise for Seniors - September 9, 2016
- Final Moments At Home with Live-In Care - August 9, 2016
- Poor Sleep Increases Likelihood Of Catching A Cold - February 3, 2016
Expert Home Care when your agingÂ seniors in New JerseyÂ needs live-in care, elder care, or senior home care in NJ Â 800-848-2336.
â€œMr. Sandmanâ€ Often Overlooks The Elderly in New Jersey
For many older people, getting a good nightâ€™s sleep can be a challenge. While for some, going to sleep is as easy as crawling under the covers and turning off the light, scientists are learning that more than half of the elderly have difficulty falling asleep and/or staying asleep.
Many well documented studies suggest that altered sleep patterns are a normal part of aging. Some studies suggest that the elderly produce less of the so called sleep hormone, melatonin, than they did when they were younger. Some evidence supports the view that those elderly individuals who complain of sleep problems have lower melatonin levels than other individuals who are the same age and who get better sleep at night.
Conversely, still other studies indicate that melatonin levels do not diminish as individuals age. Doctors are still trying to determine just how useful melatonin treatment could be for those over age 65 who experience sleep problems. Here are some suggestions from sleep experts that could help you improve your quality of sleep.
- Stay active – Many studies have shown that exercise can be helpful for people 50 to 78 to regulate their sleep. Even getting enough sunlight during the late afternoon can help, too.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine – Having a cup of coffee after supper, or a few drinks before bed, can really affect your sleep. Alcohol might make you feel sleepy at first, but it actually makes it difficult for you to stay asleep and rest.
- Take short naps – Daytime naps are okay as long as you limit them to 30 minutes or less. If you find it difficult to get the sleep you need, you should discuss the topic with your doctor. â€œMr. Sandmanâ€ may be passing you by, but that neednâ€™t rob you of the benefits of a good nightâ€™s sleep.
Do you have problems getting a full night’s sleep? How did you overcome “Mr. Sandman’s” absence? Please share your stories, we’d like to hear them!
To learn more about the type of care Expert Home Care in New Jersey offers seniors and elders choosing to live at home, giver us a call 800-848-2336.
*Better Business Bureau – BBBOnLine Participation Confirmed For Expert Home Care, Inc.meets all BBBOnLine participation and Better Business Bureau membership standards and is authorized to display the BBBOnLine trustmark.