Latest posts by Expert Home Care (see all)
- Ways to Get Exercise for Seniors - September 9, 2016
- Final Moments At Home with Live-In Care - August 9, 2016
- Poor Sleep Increases Likelihood Of Catching A Cold - February 3, 2016
Are you seekingÂ caregiving or live-in help forÂ a loved one? Call today!Â 800-848-2336 or visit Expert Home Care New Jersey.
In our last post, Expert Home Care listed tips andÂ observations on determining if your loved one needs caregiving, or live-in caregiving.Â If youÂ resolved that theÂ senior hasÂ immediateÂ needs, then it’s time to talk about it with the senior. This will be a delicate process thatÂ requiresÂ probing but respectful questions, a healthy dose of empathy, and an understanding that there will be communication problems and pitfalls.
You will either find that your loved one in questionÂ accepts their limitations and makes necessary adjustments, or they will resist andÂ struggle. If he/sheÂ resist, know that yourÂ conversation may be interpreted as a personal threat to theirÂ independence.Â
The most effective discussions focus on what seniors can do, rather than what they can’t do. Encourage them to make good use of the abilities they still have. When caregiving is needed, here are some steps to consider taking:
- Make a list of the assistance that is needed
- Identify potential helpers and tasks
- Establish a network of professional care providers
- Monitor and ensure quality service from care providers
- Avoid family caregiver burnout by maintaining balance and obtaining relief
The more you know about you mom or dad’s needsÂ and desires, as wellÂ as knowing what is available to them through theirÂ community services and those related costs, the more depth you will add to discussions about caregiving.
Remember toÂ call Expert Home CareÂ at 800-848-2336,Â we are Certified Senior Advisors who understand andÂ know theÂ right kind of planning, recommendations and referrals to helpÂ make aging a state to be savored instead of a fate to be feared.